About Hospitality Action
Established in 1837 Hospitality Action, the Hospitality Industry Benevolent Organisation, offers vital assistance to all who work, or have worked within hospitality in the UK and who find themselves in difficulty.
We strive to help everyone who needs us in the industry including those who are:
- Suffering from life altering illnesses
- Experiencing poverty, bereavement, domestic violence, homelessness, redundancy.
- Retired from the industry
Our range of services can be accessed by past and present employees within the hospitality industry providing they have:
- Worked within the direct provision of food, drink or accommodation away from home. Either the employee or the employer can have the industry connection. This means that either the applicant can have provided food, drink or accommodation directly, (e.g. they were a chef, bartender, hotel receptionist) or the company that they work/ed for does (e.g. worked for a catering company, bar, hotel)
- Worked within the industry for either one continuous year in the past five; for seven years in their lifetime or be currently working within the industry
- Worked within the UK and/or Northern Ireland
- Limited savings
We can also consider help for dependants of industry employees, where the employee fits the above criteria.
Areas of Help
We try to help in as many areas as possible but there are some exclusions. At present we cannot help with any of the following:
- Education related costs such as private school fees, fees for educational courses, student maintenance, and student loan repayment
- Most private medical treatments
- Residential Care fee shortfalls
- Legal costs
- Property repairs/adaptations where equity release is a viable option
Please note that we also cannot consider a grant for an item until all statutory sources of funding have been tried.
How Hospitality Action Can Help
Our grants are aimed at helping individuals (not organisations).
To apply for financial assistance applicants need to complete one of our application forms (or submit one from another recognised organisation – please contact us for more details). Click here to download our application form and guidance notes. Once completed the editable application form can be emailed to email@example.com or posted to the address on the form. If you cannot complete the form this way contact us to have a pack sent out.
Most applications for financial assistance need to be supported by an independent third party who can confirm the applicant’s need and financial situation. See application guidance notes for more details on who can support different types of request.
Essential Needs Grants
These grants are awarded for assistance towards the cost of an item or need considered essential for the wellbeing or improving the quality of life of the applicant. Most requests can be considered (see Areas of Help section above for list of exclusions).
These grants are awarded to applicants of working age who have suffered a sudden loss of income due to bereavement, illness or injury. Awards are usually for a maximum of one year. The grant aims to assist with the general living costs of the applicant for a set time so that they have time to adjust to their new circumstances before returning to work.
These grants are awarded to people who have spent most of their life within our industry and are now on a very limited income. The grant aims to assist with their general living costs to ensure that an adequate standard of living is achieved. All of our Top-Up grant recipients are also Golden Friends click this link for more details about our Golden Friends befriending scheme.
Winter Fuel Grants
Our Winter Fuel grants are there to working age people who are concerned about their heating bills and how they’ll be able to afford to keep their homes warm through the colder weather. Our Winter Fuel Grants Programme is open to those currently working within the hospitality industry and earning a low wage. Grants are for £100 and the scheme is open between November and March each year. If you need assistance before the scheme opens again then please complete our full grant application form which can be found at the top of the page.
Family Days Out
We can also give families a break from their everyday difficulties by providing a rare fun day out at a local attraction. Outings take place across the UK and range from visits to safari parks and theme parks to trips to sea life centres and bowling alleys. During December we also offer festive treats to local pantomimes or ice skating. Eligible families are selected from our existing grants recipients for each year.
HA Assistance Line
HA also operate a 24/7 assistance line open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
Our Assistance Line is totally confidential and we can offer support and guidance across a wide range of topics including financial wellbeing, health and mental health, parenting and carer support. With access to specialist support where appropriate and if eligibility criteria are met.
Call: 0808 802 0282 or
How Hospitality Action Can Support Employers
For employers wishing to support their team’s wellbeing, we offer an Employee Assistance Programme (EAP).
Hospitality Action’s EAP is the only Employee Assistance Programme designed specifically to assist hospitality people by providing specialist, independent and confidential advice, support and assistance. Whatever the problem, we are here to help 24 hours a day, 365 days per year.
What services can be accessed through the Hospitality Action EAP?
The EAP service is a proactive, fully supported, totally confidential scheme that provides the following services:
- Advice and help sheets topics include: Health & Wellbeing; Working Life; and Financial Matters via our Well Online portal.
- Web chat and telephone help line, 24/7, 365 days a year
- Managerial Adviceline
- Managed Referrals
- Personal counselling – online, telephone and face-to-face counselling
- Legal information and guidance
- Financial planning and debt advice
- Addiction support expert help with alcohol, drugs, gambling or other addiction issues
- Hardship grants – where our criteria are met
- Parenting Helpline – topics covered include: pregnancy and birth, single parenting, shared parenting, and teenage challenges
- Elder Care – support and advice on caring for an older relative
- Bespoke managerial reports, employee booklets, employer’s briefing document, posters and subscribers’ newsletter
- Whistleblowing service – a confidential service giving employees the opportunity to report any work-related concerns to an independent third party
- Critical Incident and Trauma Support
These services are provided at a very cost effective rate of £5 + VAT per employee per annum with a minimum annual fee of £250 + vat for those with 50 or fewer employees.
For a full overview of the EAP programme visit the Hospitality Action website.
To find out more about how the EAP could support your people please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call Head Office on 0203 004 5500.